Tuesday 4 December 2012

Patterns



The volcanic rock of the island was often used in sculpture, but this is a very soft type of rock. This meant they were easily weathered.  This could be the reason that Bali has so many artists, as they were needed to renovate and restore the carvings that adorned temples and palaces. There was a certain formal style that artists used with the carvings, and from my research I have learnt some of these rules.

In the book 'The Art and Culture of Bali' it has diagrams of different types of carvings. Some of these need to be put specific places. For example:

'a karang bhoma or a karang sae, both of them monster heads with or without horns but with hands, is found at the central point over the entrances of all kinds'

I've seen this on lots of reference pictures, and it seems like a very important thing to put in.

'in less important spots the sculptor must place a motif called karang bintulu at the centre of a patterned section'

This is something I had seen less, and would have passed me by.

'if the carver... wants to decorate a corner, he chooses either a karang curing or karang goak motif, the upper half of a birds beak... or a karang asti, the head of an elephant with or without lower jaw'

I'd seen examples of these, but not the elephant variety. All of these, now I have the names, will be a lot easier to research and get references for. 



Although my project is not 100% accurate, as it not based on a real place, little touches of authenticity would really help sell the level. These are some other designs, that could be used around my level.



No comments:

Post a Comment